Jennifer, GB and I went up to see the boat about a month ago. It was good to see friends at the Marina, as well as at our favorite hangouts. We did a few boat projects, sold the dinghy to people at the marina and took delivery of our new inflatable dinghy. This dinghy was affordable and will work well for us while we are still up in the Chesapeake Bay, it doesn't have a hard bottom, simply a firm bottom. Jennifer wasn't real sure about a bright Orange dinghy, but I think she will end up liking the ability to see it and differentiate it from all the other dinghy's!
Our time was up and we were packing up to head out when we overheard people talking about a hurricane party and preparation? Okay, maybe I wasn't paying attention considering how far north we are, so I looked at the weather forecast and the information on the National Hurricane Center (NHC). Sure enough there was a storm brewing that eventually became Hurricane Florence and was looking to hit North Carolina and turn straight for us. When we left it was still a tropical depression, but within two days of being back home in Texas it was a growing storm and was predicted to be at least a Cat 3 when it made landfall. Now this was getting serious and we needed to take action, should I fly back to secure the boat and possibly ride the storm out (think REO Speedwagon)! I called up to our Marina and spoke with them about the storm, which they were keeping an eye on and we discussed options. Then our friend at the front desk mentioned that a number of boats from other marina's with floating docks were calling to be pulled out, or wanting a fixed dock to tie up to. Well this certainly piqued my attention and provided me with one more option, have the boat pulled and stored on the hard. However, there was already a list, so I put our name on the list and thank God they were able to pull her and store her on the hard... now she should be safe, or at least safer. While Florence caused major damage in North Carolina, it never made it with any force to Virginia, but at least I had taken the precaution ahead of time, so no regrets for spending the money... it wasn't cheap!
The marina put our boat back in the water and all seemed good, right until Hurricane Michael. I had already made plans with my friend Josh to go up to the boat and we had intended on moving her to Annapolis, MD for the SailBoat show, not even thinking that Hurricane Michael would make its way all the way to the Chesapeake. I was wrong and by the time we arrived in Virginia it was obvious we were in for a serious blow, so we immediately started getting the boat prepared, limiting any windage on the boat was our first order of tasks. While Michael had downgraded after the devastation and deaths it caused in Florida, it was still heading straight for us. When Michael hit us winds were gusting well over 40 knots, lots of rain creating a large surge, but we were tied to a fixed dock, so we simply centered the boat prior to the high winds, got on board and prepared for the worse. It was a hell of an experience and I thank God that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. No damage, but in the morning, Josh pointed out all of the pine needles on the boat and we were a considerable distance from the nearest pine trees. A tornado did touch down a few miles from where we were tied up, but again no damage to the boat and minimal damage at the marina. Roads were flooded and power was out, but It's Good was sitting pretty. Don't mess with Mother Nature!